While none of us really want to start doing the dishes after dinner, it is a necessary evil for those who cannot afford the space for a built-in dishwasher. However, you can solve the problem by buying the best countertop dishwasher instead.
However, even the best countertop dishwasher’might be movable, but do not have enough space to load all the dishes.
The countertop dishwasher is a combination of portability along with ample internal capacity. If you are looking for one, here are 10 reviews that will help you to find the best countertop dishwasher.
Best Countertop Dishwasher of 2019
Costway -‘Best Countertop Dishwasher of 2018
While we might not have the space required for installing a permanent dishwasher, we do not want to compromise on the outcome either.
The Costway dishwasher equips you with all the facilities that you would get out of an installed one.
You can use the six standard place settings at home for a nuclear family or even at the office. There are six wash cycles that you can choose from according to the occasion.
In fact, the installation process with its quick-connect assembly is one of the easiest that I have ever encountered when it comes to dishwashers.
It has semi-integrated electric controls and the push buttons and rotary cycles are very convenient and easy to figure out. You can pre-set the dishwasher up to 24 hours.
However, you can also extend it by one-hour increments.
However, if you want something that is pre-equipped, you might want to look further.
It is a good choice for college going singles who have recently purchased or rented a new apartment. It saves time and you won’t even be aware that your dishwasher is on, due to the quiet operation.
However, you have to get the water connections separately and install them and that takes a bit of extra work. If you are willing to extend that effort, this is a great option at a reasonable price.
Antogoo‘-‘Best Table Top Dishwasher
The Antogoo comes with a child lock benefit that you can use to keep your baby safe, without having to constantly be on the alert.
Moreover, it is equipped to deal with some of the larger pots and pans, having a 10.5′ diameter capacity. I could wash almost all my cooking utensils with this, and not just the cutlery, cups and plates.
The inbuilt spray arm works to provide a thorough cleaning of your dirty utensils. You can load the cups and the cutlery in separate compartments for better organization.
I loved the internal water heater that can heat the water up to 149 F. That saved me from pre-heating the water.
There is a built-in agent dispenser as well. You can further connect the hose to any water faucet that is convenient for you as well.
While it is not that much of an effort, it is a bit disappointing.
For a reasonable budget, I am willing to accept a dishwasher without a dryer. Considering the fact that it is highly portable and can fit in any compartment, it is easy to position wherever you like.
Moreover, the faucet fitting is standard which is convenient for most people as well.
Magic Chef -‘The Best Countertop Dishwasher
On the other hand, if you do insist on purchasing a dishwasher equipped with a dryer, you can consider this one from Magic Chef.
This is usually the more viable option for those who do not have the time or the space to dry the dishes separately.
It certainly was a nice change for me, from dealing with soggy cook-wear even after spending money on a dishwasher.
You can add the detergent in the dispenser and relax without having to measure out the exact amount. However, unlike the Costway dishwasher, this one comes with 5 wash cycles.
That could be an inconvenience for those who like their options to not be so limited.
To be honest, I preferred this dishwasher over the other two. While I can deal with limited options when it comes to washing cycles, I would rather prefer my dishwasher with a dryer and water inlet and outlet.
This makes for a lower expense when you are fixing it up. You can even use the setup kit it comes with for easy installation.
SPT -‘Best Price Countertop Dishwasher
It needs to be adaptable with every faucet you have at your place as well.
I liked how I could set up the dishwasher, wherever it was convenient for me.
Apart from that, unlike the Magic Chef dishwasher, it comes with 6 wash cycles including a soaking cycle. You can heat the water up to 148 F for better washing.
The interior is built with stainless steel which increases its durability. It comes with detergent and rinse agent dispensers which make it easy to use as well.
This is great if you have a few dishes to deal with but not equipped for larger crockery.
For a cheaper range, this is one of the best dishwashers that you can have. However, it lacks the space required for some of the larger mugs or pots that you might use.
It is perfect as a countertop dishwasher though and because we are talking about a smaller or the requirements for a single user, it could be a good one, to begin with.
Koldfront -‘Best Affordable Countertop Dishwasher
It requires significantly less energy compared to most other dishwashers.
I could set it up at an input voltage of 120 V, which was easy enough to find.
Like the SPT dishwasher, you get the quick connect adapter that can fit with most of the faucets as well. Moreover, the five feet hose makes it easy to set it up at a place of your convenience.
The best part is, apart from a few manufacturing defects, which are individual to the buyer, there is not much you can complain about. While it might not be the best that a dishwasher can offer, it certainly fits the need for small-range users.
This is a very convenient choice for those, who want most of the requirements of a larger dishwasher at a convenient price. If you want a dishwasher for larger plates, this might not be enough.
But for average sized ones, it has a decent fit. The faucet adapter is an added perk that makes it easier to connect at your will.
SPT SD-9241 -‘Best Compact Countertop Dishwasher
It is equipped with all the best features that a countertop dishwasher can provide and perhaps more on top.
It comes with an eight place setting which is far better, than the regular six-place setting, which most dishwashers come with.
You can pre-set the operation within 24 hours as well.
The faucet adapter will fit any standard sized aerator, both male and female. You can adjust the rack to accommodate large pots or pans if you want to wash them instead of your plates as well.
This makes it more versatile and almost on par with inbuilt dishwashers.
A couple of my friends have complained that their model started leaking after a while. However, this is not something that I faced and it depends on the individual item.
Apart from that, I have encountered no such obvious flaws with this one.
Like I mentioned, this dishwasher is one of the best on this list. It is probably one of the best in the market as well in this range.
The larger area allows us to truly use it instead of an inbuilt dishwasher. Moreover, the higher water temperature cleans the dishes better which adds up to its reliability as a dishwasher.
SPT SD-2224 -‘Best for the Money
This includes the usual ones like heavy, light, soak, rinse, normal and speed, along with a ‘miniparty’option that you can access.
Moreover, it has a water supply warning which warns you when you have the faucet turned off.
It happens often that I switch on the dishwasher but forget to turn the water supply on. That could be dangerous at some level.
The LED displays are easy to read as well. In fact, the entire mechanism is very easy to operate, along with its automatic rinse aid and detergent dispenser.
You can pre-set for two, four or eight hours at the most.
For smaller requirements like one or two members or even an office, this is pretty convenient. However, if you have larger needs, you might consider getting something with more capacity.
Nevertheless, within its range, this is one of the only products that offer a 7 wash cycle option.
Danby -‘Best to Buy Dishwasher
This is a good product for those who are buying their first dishwasher and doesn’t want something too complicated to handle.
It has electronic controls along with LED display which makes it easy to read and operate the machine.
However, I have noticed that for those plates that are too greasy, this does not produce satisfying results. It is good for taking off a few crumbs stuck to the plates but not more.
This is perfect as an entry-level product. But if you are looking for something more exclusive, there are products far better at this range as well.
However, apart from that, for some light washing, there should be no complaints either.
SPT SD-2213 -‘Best Heavy-Duty Dishwasher
There is not much difference between the two except for the fact that the SPT 2213 has six wash cycles instead of seven.
I could put in some of the larger plates with a 10.5’diameter during washing. It has a decent capacity with six place settings.
However, the reason I replaced this dishwasher was that it leaked a lot. That could be a major problem in spite of all the benefits that it offers.
Compared to some of the budget products in the market, this is a far better option. However, that still doesn’t make it the best of the lot.
It provides the usual settings and cycle options. However, it becomes a little hard to deal with the leaking on a regular basis.
Ivation -‘Best Budget Dishwasher
This is one of the few dishwashers which really get the job done.
It is equipped with a spray arm that helps to better clean the dishes.
You also get six wash cycles along with automatic dispensers for detergent and rinse agent.
The control panel is built with touch buttons which are very easy to operate. It comes in a compact design which you can store even if a small dorm kitchen.
You can just tuck it between compartments, or true to its name, place it on the counter.
While this is a relatively good dishwasher, I couldn’t end my search here. However, if you do not have too many heavy requirements and are just buying or a couple of washes in a week, this should be good enough.
It is good for offices and dorms, more than for families who cook regularly.
Best Countertop Dishwasher – Buyer’s Guide
What is a Countertop Dishwasher?
As its name suggests, a countertop dishwasher is a dishwasher that can be placed on top of a counter.
This is a portable dishwasher, as opposed to a built-in one which you have to fix in one position with a permanent and dedicated water inlet.
Countertop dishwashers, on the other hand, can be fitted to any faucet with the help of a connecting adapter. The drain hose positioned behind it acts as an outlet for the dirty water.
Moreover, a countertop dishwasher consumes less energy than a built-in one.
This is, often a preferable option for smaller family units or singles.
How Do You Install Countertops?
- To install a countertop dishwasher, firstly, choose a position. It is preferable if it is near to a sink so that you can drain the water easily. Moreover, space should be large enough to fit the dishwasher.
- Then, you need to remove the screws and level the dishwasher with the countertop.
- Most dishwashers come with a connect. You need to remove the aerator of your faucet and put the one with the dishwasher on instead. You can take this off when you need to use the tap separately.
- Now, connect the water input hose to the faucet on one end and to the dishwasher on the other. Position the drainage hose into the sink as well.
- Make sure that everything is secured to prevent any leaks. Test out the water hoses before you begin to load the dishes.
How Do You Measure a Countertop To Replace?
To measure and replace countertops:
- Draw the design of your countertop on a piece of paper.
- Measure the dimensions of the countertop. If there is any window openings or islands, measure them and jot it down accordingly on the drawing.
- If you are making laminate countertops, cut the line using a masking tape. For a straight cut, use a rip fence.
- According to the line, cut the laminate.
- Sand down the edges after the cut has been made.
How Do You Work a Portable Dishwasher?
- Make sure that there is a water input, a drainage facility and an electric input nearby.
- Many dishwashers do not have an inbuilt water heater. Even if it does, make sure that you add only hot water to the machine.
- Next, attach the inlet hose to the faucet. You might need to use a faucet adapter to secure it properly. Place the drainage hose in the sink as well.
- You can start by placing the plates or any vertical utensils along with the cutlery on the lower rack. You can place your cups and bowls on the upper rack.
- Add the detergent to the dispenser before you close the door.
- Turn on the dishwasher and add the water as well.
- When you are done, unplug the machine and put it away.
How Do You Hook Up a Portable Dishwasher?
- Take off the aerator from the faucet. Replace it with the connection adapter from your dishwasher. Check if the water is hot enough and then turn the faucet off.
- Take out the input and output hoses. Attach the input to the faucet by pushing the collar down and then sliding it on the adaptor before you let the collar ring go. Make sure that the collar is secure enough. Turn the faucet on.
- Plug the dishwasher in.
- Load it, add the detergent and choose your wash cycle.
Can You Convert a Portable Dishwasher To a Built-In?
- Buy a dishwasher installation kit from the same company from which you got your dishwasher.
- You will notice that your dishwasher comes with a drainage hose. You need to remove the pre-installed on and replace it with the new one you will find with the kit.
- Connect this drain line with the dishwasher fitting that you have on your garbage disposal. In case you don’t have a garbage unit, you need to get a separate dishwasher drain adapter in the sink.
- Take off the inlet hose and use the one in the kit as well. Connect it to a shutoff valve on the hot water supply below the sink.
- Next, you must have noticed the wheels on your portable dishwasher. Permanent ones do not require them at all. So you can remove the wheels from the dishwasher.
How Do You Install an Adaptor for a Portable Dishwasher?
- Remove the aerator or strainer from the faucet.
- Look for external strings on the faucet. If the faucet does have external strings, you don’t need to take out the adapter ring. Next, secure the aerator assembly onto the faucet.
- If the faucet has internal threads instead, set the gasket and the ring before securing it. Then install the assembly.
- If you do not find any thread, you can get an adapter from any plumber.
- Place the dishwasher where you want it to be. From the receptacle, take out the coupler and press the thumb release. Connect the coupler with the adapter and release the pressure on the thumb release. This will set the coupler in position.
- When you open the faucet, there should not be any leaks.
How Do You Clean Your Dishwasher?
- Take out the filter. Clean it and then soak it in hot water and soap for about ten minutes before you put it back in.
- Next, take a cup of vinegar and pour it into the bottom of the dishwasher. Make sure that your dishwasher is empty before then. Set a heavy clean cycle.
- Then, pour a cup of baking soda into the bottom of the dishwasher. Let it for one night and in the morning, you can set an empty cycle.
- If there is any dirt left, scrub them off with a toothbrush.
The Bottom Line
There are several brands which offer different features. Before you buy, make a note of your requirements and the size of your utensils If I have to boil it down to just one product for you, I’d most definitely go with Magic Chef.
However, if you are looking for an alternative, specifically designed to accommodate large utensils, Antogoo‘ would be your safest bet. After all, like everything else, the best countertop dishwasher for you depends on your needs.
Don’t forget to check our latest review – Keurig vs Nespresso.